Tuesday, April 1, 2014

BOSS SHOP: BORG DESTROYER CUBE & ASSIMILATED ESCORTS PART 2

Now that I have the superstructure of The Destroyer Cube done, I have focused on getting the secondary structures built. The secondary structures include all of the framework for the Destroyer's outer hull and the interior hanger-bays.


The crates have already been prepared, now it is a simple matter of making the hangers in such a way that they will easily plug into their places within the superstructure.


I have a lot of main-parts and detail-bits for the hangers. This part of the Destroyer is good ole fashioned modeling fun...how much of the cool stuff (detail) can I get into them, and keep everything looking good in relation to the scale?


The tools...I love 'em...Ha, Ha!


The main components of all four Hanger-bays (The Magic) comes from the somewhat hard to find  Platformer Hex set.


I always use a nice damp black hand-rag when I am making a mess, because the bits and shavings get stuck there as neat as you please, and this makes the work less of a hassle for me. When I am done being messy all I have to do is shake the rag over the trashcan then rinse it in warm soapy water, wring it out and fold it, and I am back in business again.

This rag-work as I call it, is something that I have learned to do over the years, to keep mess to a minimum. It is how I like to work, as the debris do not get in the way, and I can wipe the tools off as I go.

The tiny holes for the lighting are all done with a sharp sowing needle, as this is a much easier way for me to control the hole sizes, and that needle will not break like a fine scale drill bit often does. If I need to clean any of the holes out I come back with a drill bit and simply ream out the pin hole, and there is almost no stress on the drill.


I have also figured out exactly how I am going to build the main and exterior frames; the parts that will make the Destroyer a cube. I have to wait until next week to continue this work however as I have limited stock in my supply bins, and had to order several sets of large ABS Rod to complete these sections.


I also started to work on the TOS-A as the first Assimilated Escort model, since I am short on large ABS Rod. This is a nice set of parts for the start of this cool little model. I should be able to get the new look I want for her working from here.


I almost felt bad about burning then carving and shaving this little lady...but it had to be done.

I am going to make the Borg-tech details three layers deep on all of these models.

On the Destroyer that is the interior, main, and exterior frames.
On the Assimilated ships this is being done by making precise panels, to show the tech details just below the original ships hull.
The secondary details will be on the outer hull, and to finish the effect extra Borg paneling, devices, and weapons will be modeled in fine detail above the original exteriors of the  ships.


I have the last batch of big materials ordered. Now I am going to leave the main frame for a bit and continue work on the TOS-A this week, along with the Hanger-bays, while I wait for my new supplies to arrive.

PART ONE.

PART THREE.

BORG Boss out!