Monday, September 1, 2014

BOSS SHOP: X-WING EPIC INTERSTELLAR TERRAIN - ASTEROIDS PART 2

I got a lot more work done on my Huge Asteroids since my last article, and added some new types to the group as well. I decided to move forward with my Scum & Villainy Terrain projects, since I know we should have these ships by the end of the year!

"FEAR THE DARK BAD PLACES."

I was always going to have my own Pirate Faction with the Rim Wraiths before SCUM was announced. I do not have all of the ships that I need for them, but there is a certain way they operate which can be worked on now, so I may as well get this aspect of their organization ready early...


The first set of HUGE Asteroids are about half complete now. I washed them and rubbed off the loose foam left over from the raw carving.


All of the mountings have been drilled in and their placements are situated to make each model look as cool as I could make them. It was fun to move them around and decide how I wanted each model to sit in space. I recommend marking your drill holes with a pen, so that you do not loose them... Ha, Ha!


The mounting rods are syringes. These work great for a lot of modeling projects not to mention applying certain glues in tight places. You want to be careful when using these medical items for hobby materials.  I recommend clipping the needles first and deposing of them properly. You guys know that of course.
The drilled holes are smaller than the actual rods. This makes them stay in place as they are nice and tight. I slowly twist them into place with the glue on, which helps to drive the rods in glue-and-all, without allowing air to interfere with the glues set while they are drying.


Once all of the mounts are in place and allowed to dry completely for a day, I got the models coated with a base of good ole reliable Flex Paste tinted with a few drops of black paint. Flex Paste is ivory white so you need to color it to see what you are getting down on white foam.
Flex Paste is great stuff gang. It acts as a texture and a ready to paint seal over foam and similar material. Now I can take these asteroids to the next level by adding other details and finish off the mountings with magnet locking ball-and-sockets so they can all be rotated and function freely together as interchangeable components.

More to come...

Wraith Rocks

The Rim Wraiths use asteroid fields and nebula to their advantage more so than other Scum. Because of the factions Force Sensitive members, who lead all important missions, they are able to navigate these Bad Places very well, despite the many dangers. Wraiths guard certain regions they have favored with regularly manned mini asteroids bases which have come to be known by their enemies and allies alike as Wraith Rocks.


Wraith Captains responsible for important regions guarded by Wraith Rocks typically carve a skull face into the chosen lead asteroids with mining lasers. This brief christening ceremony of these deadly hard rocks serves to keep the moral of the skeleton crews high. Wraith Territories in marked in this way keeps all but the most arrogant Imperials and foolhardy Scum far away.

Fire and Ice Rocks

In addition to my crazy Wraith Rocks I am making Fire and Ice Asteroids. These are going to be very fun in my games. I have rules for them too, of course... cause!


These special asteroids are going to make my Epic games a fun challenge to say the least. I am going to make only a few, because the rules I have written for them are hardcore... less is more with these things on the battlefield.


If you want to make illuminated asteroids you have to be certain that you buy the very porous hard craft foam, because light will not pass through  the soft denser foam, which is what I am using to make my standard huge rocks.

The first image shows the models pictured in full lighting, while the second image was taken in low mood lighting. The full dark results was the first image published in this article... Boba is going to be the BAMF we knew he was come Wave SIX! :D

I think the pictures say it all for these builds thus far. the tricky part of the work is going to come when I texture the shapes and paint them. I will go into more detail about the process then so you may build your own if you want to be crazy like your ole pal JB.

PART I

PART 3

Ambushing from the Asteroids SCUM Boss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment